This article may contain affiliate / compensated links. For more information, please see my disclaimer here.
Birth affirmations are positive statements about the expecting or laboring mom, their baby and their birthing process. Through repetition, they can turn any negative thought that a mom-to-be may have about giving birth into a positive one. This will reduce any stress and anxiety, and boost their self-esteem and self-confidence.
They actually play a crucial role in achieving a calm and confident birth experience (particularly if wanting to achieve a natural birth). Having a positive mindset towards birth can make all the difference.
In fact, our minds and bodies are connected. When we repeatedly affirm something in our mind, our subconscious will start believing it. And as our mind becomes confident in what our body can do, the body follows by relaxing and birthing with ease. This will dramatically reduce any labor pain.
Related: 23 Tips for a Birth without Epidural
How to practice with Birth Affirmations
For birth affirmations to become effective, they require a lot of repetition. It’s like training your body for a marathon. Except, you are training your mind! The success of birth affirmations really depends on how much you practice before giving birth.
The best way to practice is by either listening to audio tracks or read birth affirmation cards. I used to listen to birth affirmations every day at every given opportunity. Before going to bed was one of the best times: I would be re-programming my mind while being soothed to sleep 🙂
You can download a Birth Affirmation Audio Track here.
Birth affirmation cards can also be really effective. Spread them around your house or your office. In the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom. Use them as constant reminders that everything is ok and that you can do this. And don’t forget to pack them in your hospital bag to take to hospital for when you go into labor!
I have created 20 beautiful birth affirmation cards that you can get here for free as pdf. Download these free printable birth affirmations, print them to any size you want and start spreading them around your house!
Birth Affirmations and Hypnobirthing
It’s a method that uses different techniques such as breathing, relaxation and visualization techniques, as well as birth affirmations, to achieve a calm and positive birth experience for both the mom and the baby. It will totally change your perspective of birth and send you on the path to have the most amazing birth experience 🙂
Other Key Hypnobirthing Component Techniques
As I mentioned before, birth affirmations are only one of the key techniques that need to be mastered in hypnobirthing. Other key components are:
- Education: knowledge is power! Understanding what happens to your body and being aware of all the changes that you go through during labor will assist you in remaining calm and confident throughout labor and delivery.
- Relaxation: your ability to quickly go into a deep state of relaxation is one of the most effective ways of dealing with tension, stress or discomfort before or during birth.
- Deepening: these techniques are meant to deepen your relaxation to a point where your body becomes limp and you are almost in an amnesiac state.
- Visualization: visualization exercises fill your brain with positive pictures related to your birth. The assimilation of these visions creates acceptance, belief and confidence in achieving and easier and gentler birth like you imagined it.
- Breathing: proper breathing will allow your body to relax and send more oxygen down your uterus. This way it will be much quicker and easier to birth your baby.
Related: Hypnobirthing Breathing Techniques
50 Positive Birth Affirmations
Here’s a list of some of the most powerful and positive birth affirmations for you to choose from when getting ready to give birth. Note that I use the word “surge” instead of “contraction”, because that’s what hypnobirthing teaches you to do. However, feel free to swap that word to “contraction” if you prefer.
Each surge brings the baby closer to me.
I am totally relaxed and at ease.
I am getting closer and closer to meeting my little baby.
I feel confident, I feel safe, I feel secure.
I am relaxed, confident, and in control.
I put all fear aside.
I trust my intuition.
I am strong.
I trust my body.
My body and my baby know exactly what to do.
My cervix opens easily.
I was made to do this.
My baby is the perfect size for my body.
I am prepared to meet whatever turns my birthing take.
I soften, I open, I release.
Breathe in, breathe out, one wave at a time.
My baby is in the perfect position for birth.
Birthing is a natural, easy process of my body, my mind and my spirit, working in harmony with my baby.
I accept all my feelings, thoughts, and emotions.
I visualize holding my new baby in my arms.
Nothing lasts forever, and this too, shall pass.
I get to meet my baby today.
Many women have birthed before me, and many will birth after.
The ability to give birth is a gift.
I have strength I didn’t know existed.
Inhale strength, exhale fear.
My baby will be strong, happy and healthy.
I am relaxed and happy that my baby is finally coming to me.
The pain is only temporary and won’t last forever.
The stronger my birthing waves are, the more I relax.
The strength of my birthing sensations empowers me.
Each wave has a purpose.
Birth is the ultimate act of love.
My baby gives me the strength to do anything.
I am a force to be reckoned with.
My partner and I are the world’s best team.
My surges aren’t happening to me, they are a part of me.
I am proud of myself, however birth goes.
I am focused on a smooth, easy birth.
My muscles work in complete harmony to make birthing easier.
My mind is relaxed, my body is relaxed.
My body and my baby know how to work in harmony.
I feel a natural tranquility flowing through my body.
I fully relax and turn my birthing over to nature.
My baby’s birth will be easy because I am so relaxed and confident.
I breathe correctly and eliminate tension.
I meet each surge only with my breath, my body is at ease.
I look forward to birthing with joy and ecstasy.
I feel good and I am beautiful inside and out.
I trust that my baby has a calm and serene birth, that it happens quickly and brings me much joy.
If you are planning on having a natural birth, with our without hypnobirthing, also check out these related posts:
- 23 Tips for a Birth without Epidural (Yes, you can do it!)
- How to Achieve a Confident Birth
- Perineal Massage during Pregnancy: increasing your chances of an Easier Labor
- Hypnobirthing 101: the hypnobirthing basics for a positive birth experience
- Hypnobirthing Breathing Techniques (All you need to know!)
- Top 5 Hypnobirthing Online Classes
For tips on how to survive pregnancy:
- Pregnancy Survival Kit (30+ Essentials for Mom & Dad)
- 100 Cute & Happy Pregnancy Quotes for Expecting Moms
- 20+ Fun & Creative Things to do while Pregnant
- 20+ Remedies for Heartburn during Pregnancy (and Tips on how to prevent it)
Did you find this useful? Pin It!